Ubuntu as print server

David Foster dbfoster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 05:35:31 UTC 2005

Wow, that works great. Too bad you have to edit config files manually to
make it happen. I have 4 Ubuntu computers in my house and one printer, now
they can share.

I wonder if a script like /etc/cups/cupsd-browsing.conf could be made for
cups serving. Also the printer connected directly to a machine should have a
right-click menu option to "share printer on network". Then life would be
sweet!

BTW in the mean time this hack should be documented in
Ubuntuguide.org<http://Ubuntuguide.org>

On 10/16/05, Chosechu <chosechu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Niki Kovacs wrote:
> > Two or three lines to add in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on the server side,
> > one line to add in /etc/cups/client.conf on the client side, restart,
> > serve hot. Details see below.
>
> Will try. Thanks for the tip!
>
> > Forget the GUIs. I'm a Slack veteran, so believe me: vi is your friend
> > for configuring your PC :oD (I l-o-v-e Ubuntu though... first non-Slack
> > distro I really dig)
>
> You have a point there, which I'd like to digress upon. Allow me.
>
> Having fought for years with Unix, I do enjoy having only ASCII
> files to deal with to configure complex systems. Allows for all
> kinds of scripts and cron job manipulations and automated tasks
> and the like. Neat. But there are some times when you just want
> things to run out of the box, nothing fancy nor evolved, and you
> have no intention of becoming the expert in town for that topic.
>
> In that particular case: I have a printer connected to an Ubuntu box
> and I would like to share it with other computers on the LAN. On a Mac
> this means ticking a box in System Preferences. On Windows I have no
> idea but it is probably not terribly more complex. On Linux I have
> never been able to sort that through in a repeatable way. I used Debian
> a lot and dist-upgrading regularly broke my CUPS settings, to a point
> where printing had just become a recurrent half-day task I had to plan
> in advance if I needed some things printed out on schedule. I used to
> have a CVS repository running just to store /etc files because they
> would be broken during most upgrades. I am probably ahead of my time
> but I'd consider printer sharing on a LAN something you should not need
> veteran skills to get done.
>
> Ok, 'nuff said. I guess the next constructive step will be to gather
> knowledge about CUPS and try to build some configuration scripts or
> GUI that just turn the feature on by massaging configuration files
> correctly without requiring the user to become a CUPS expert. CUPS
> is a nice system but we all have other things to deal with, don't we?
>
> Same argument probably applies to many other common user needs.
> I have no doubt Ubuntu can reach a user-friendly level at least similar
> to what Mac OS has, it is already partly there.
>
> Sorry if this sounds harsh, I really mean to be constructive here.
>
> --
> Chosechu <chosechu at gmail.com>

David Foster
Scout Master Troop 4003