buying a new AGP

ulrich steffens ulrich at barfuss-jerusalem.org
Fri Oct 14 13:30:33 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, den 14.10.2005, 10:08 +0100 schrieb Lee Braiden:
> On Friday 14 October 2005 09:19, AA wrote:
> > Hello, I have had such a headache installing my ATI
> > card.  What would be a good AGP from nVidia to replace
> > this ATI Radeon?
>
> Just to clear up some confusion... AGP is an architecture and a port
> specification.  Asking for "an AGP" doesn't make a lot of sense, and could be
> taken a number of ways.  For instance, I thought you might be asking about a
> new motherboard with a more advanced AGP port for a moment there.
>
> What you're looking for is an AGP graphics card, specifically one of the most
> recent generations.  You should probably post your "poor performance"
> measurements first though, and make sure that you haven't just configured the
> card incorrectly.

AND if you judge the performance on the results of 'glxgears' you're on
the wrong way. glxgears is in no way a benchmark. if you run breezy for
instance the new version if 'glxgears' doesent report the frames
anymore, cause people always use it as a benchmark, where its not.
for example, the framerate just changes if you move the glxgears-window
to another corner on the dektop, etc... so its pretty useless as a
benchmark...  if you read through the archives of this list, you'll find
loads of comments (especially by programmers/maintainers of xorg) and
they're all tell you that glxgears isnt worth for benchmarking.

and if you're into games that much and its you're main interest on the
dektop, then its maybe worth a shot to replace the 9200. but if you use
your desktop mainly to do 2d stuff, i _personally_ find the 2d quality
of nvidia cards rather poor. i would stick with the old 9200 and would
rather spend the 100 bucks for a nice dinner with the woman of choice ;)

ulrich