Network on new hoary install

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Oct 13 04:53:14 UTC 2005

mlomker Wrote:
> If you're an old-hand at linux then I'd just start by editing the
> /etc/network/interfaces file and do everything from the command-line.
> You can figure out the GUI problem(s) later.

And what about us who are not "old hands"?  I am evaluating Ubuntu on
it's premise that it is indeed "linux for human beings", and most
humans don't get around BASH or command lines very easily.

When I cannot log into system tools and make necessary adjustments and
when my root password fails to get me where I need to go, unless I am a
command line expert, this fails to meet the standard proposed above,
doesn't it?  I certainly cannot pass this off to my Mother-in-law as a
better OS - Windows makes her twitch as it is - she would have a worse
time with ubuntu at this point (though it looks nice, to be sure).

I wasn't in the mood to flush ubuntu, but I might - If I wanted to
spend the time touch-typing my way around, I'd just get regular
Debian.

There is definitely room for improvement, and I think it is worth the
attempt.

--
mgould