Network on new hoary install

David david at kenpro.com.au
Wed Oct 12 02:38:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 05:59:35PM +0200, Zoltan Szecsei wrote:
> 'Forum Post wrote:
>
> >If you're an old-hand at linux then I'd just start by editing the
> >/etc/network/interfaces file and do everything from the command-line.
> >You can figure out the GUI problem(s) later.
> >

> valid, but experience with RH & (esp) SuSE shows that different distros
> use non-standard places to set up configs and as such, being new to the
> Debian/Ubuntu stable, I didn't really want to risk stuffing it up within
> the first hour or so.
> (even though I already seem to have :-) )

If you are familiar with network config files then the debian style ones
are pretty easy. Just about every install I do I use static IP the same
as you described.

Look at /etc/network/interfaces and you can configure nearly all the
important bits ip no, gateway, network.

If you are having trouble from the gui, check that you are using admin
tools from the FIRST user that you created. Subsequent users have access
to root disabled by default, which confused me the first time I bumped
into it. Even if you use the correct password the user does not have sudo
rights so you still can't administer the system. If I recall correctly,
you simply get some sort of authentication failure.

If that is your problem, then you can System/Administration/UsersandGroups
allows you to override the defaults.