CVS import permission denied

Tony tony.kruse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:50:10 UTC 2005

I want to setup CVS on my local Ubuntu desktop and learn to use it. I
installed the default CVS through Synaptic without errors.

It created a respository /var/lib/cvs with the following permissions

drwxrwsr-x 3 root src 4096 2005-10-05 21:24 cvs

and within /var/lib/cvs...

drwxrwsr-x 3 root src 4096 2005-10-05 21:34 CVSROOT

I added my 'username' to the /etc/group file on the following line:

src:x:40:username

However, when I try to import my first project:

$ cvs -d /var/lib/cvs import example example_project ver_0-1

I get permission denied errors, like for example:

cvs import: cannot make path to /var/lib/cvs/example: Permission denied
N example/index.php
cvs import: ERROR: cannot write file /var/lib/cvs/example/index.php,v: No
such file or directory
...etc...

Can someone help clearify what I am doing wrong?