rsnapshot - cannot create links errors - unable to use

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:20:29 UTC 2005

Hi,

I thought it might be neat to try and backup my home and etc directories to
an external USB hard disk drive on a weekly basis and so I tried to use
rsnapshot.

The USB drive is auto-mounted by Ubuntu to /media/work-usb

The error I get is :
/bin/cp: cannot create link
`/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.1/localhost/etc/fstab': Operation
not permitted
/bin/cp: cannot create link
`/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.1/localhost/usr/local/lib/texmf/ls-R':
Operation not permitted
/bin/cp: cannot create link
`/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.1/localhost/usr/local/share/fonts/fonts.cache-1':
Operation not permitted
ERROR: /bin/cp failed. Perhaps this is not GNU cp?
ERROR: Error! cp_al("/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.0/",
"/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.1/")
/usr/bin/logger -i -p user.err -t rsnapshot ERROR: Error! \
cp_al("/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.0/", \
"/media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/weekly.1/")
rm -f /var/run/rsnapshot.pid

(I deleted all but the last three "cannot create link" errors to save us
some space)

relevant settings from the /etc/rsnapshot.conf file are as follows:

snapshot_root /media/work-usb/carthik/rsnapshot/
interval weekly 4
backup /home/carthik/ localhost/home/carthik/
backup /etc/ localhost/etc/
backup /usr/local/ localhost/usr/local/

It creates some directories, but then errors out saying it cannot create the
links.

I am running it using "sudo rsnapshot weekly"

Any help to figure out why it cannot create the links is welcome. I really
thought I was all set for easy backing-up but it looks like I'll need some
help after all :)

Thanks in advance,

Carthik.
--