Another Unofficial UbuntuGuide?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Nov 7 15:18:24 UTC 2005

Timothy A. Holmes wrote:

> in my opinion, it is something that the linux community
> has got to fix --- basic stuff has just gotta work,  Sorry folks, say
> all you want, but in the business of computers and dealing with average
> (non technical) users, playing DVDs and MP3s is basic services, and the
> excuse of "it's a proprietary format, we cant include it" sounds an
> awful lot like "its too hard for us to figure out" or "our operating
> system is second rate".  We know that this is not the case, but that
> doesn't carry any water with the general public.

But what's your solution?  We _can't_ distribute proprietary software.  You
have to be charging $ to pay for the licenses to do that.  Most software
that needs proprietary drivers to do something like play DVDs actually has
a README that tells you what you would need - but we can't make users read
READMEs either.
--
derek