Another Unofficial UbuntuGuide?

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Mon Nov 7 14:50:45 UTC 2005

If it wasn't for Ubuntuguide I would not be using Ubuntu.

My first Ubuntu-hour went like:

1. Install... okay.. looks good!

2. Play an MP3, nothing.  Play a DVD..  nothing. What the F...!?  Ok,
off with this
crap..

3. then again.. spent so much time downloading and installing, let's
see if this is a common problem.. So google for 'ubuntu MP3'

4. Found ubuntuguide

5. SAVED!

[Timothy A. Holmes]
[Timothy A. Holmes]

Having worked in a couple linux distros, that is a fairly common
sequence.  And in my opinion, it is something that the linux community
has got to fix --- basic stuff has just gotta work,  Sorry folks, say
all you want, but in the business of computers and dealing with average
(non technical) users, playing DVDs and MP3s is basic services, and the
excuse of "it's a proprietary format, we cant include it" sounds an
awful lot like "its too hard for us to figure out" or "our operating
system is second rate".  We know that this is not the case, but that
doesn't carry any water with the general public.

Just my USD.02
TIM