Please Help, I'm begging you: new Powerbook install problem 5.10

Lee Braiden lee_b at digitalunleashed.com
Sun Nov 6 19:11:56 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 18:46, Steve Calvin wrote:
> I can't get the Ubuntu intaller to recognize my cdrom. I get to the
> graphical installer startup, language, location etc., but it asks for
> a floppy(!) with my cdrom driver. It asks me to select a module and
> then what is the /dev/cdrom address of my drive. It says no common
> drive found, or something. I tried /cdrom, /dev/ptmx, /dev/cdrom-
> which is the default. None work. Any ideas? Is my superdrive cd/dvd
> dual layer too new or?

Try booting with a 2.6 kernel.  The boot menu should provide details on how.
But probably, you just type something like install2.6 or linux2.6 at the boot
prompt.  If that doesn't work, you could try looking for a more up-to-date
boot CD image, or maybe boot from a USB key drive, if you have one.  I'm not
sure if that will help much though, if the kernel doesn't recognise your hard
drive/cd controller.

This is for debian, but it may point you in the right direction.  If it works,
you could install a very basic debian system, then change it to ubuntu by
modifying your sources.list

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/ch04s04.html

Having said all that, someone might well point out an easier way, so don't be
too hasty to do this :D

Good luck :)

--
Lee Braiden