Another Unofficial UbuntuGuide?

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 22:16:26 UTC 2005

The Unofficial Ubuntu guide was useful for me in both warty and hoary,
and I even recommended it to a few people.  However it wasn't without
problems.

In any case there should be some "why" to accompany the "how."  That
way if something does break, the user will understand what changes
they make and can more easily run down and fix the problem.  Also, it
will help users learn so that they more easily can figure out other
things for which there is no guide..  Users should understand what
change a particular command makes, or what a particular program
provides that a similar one doesn't.

Users should be able to make educated decisions about whether or not
they want to make a particular change or install a particular program.
 There shouldn't be just a bunch incantations, the result of which is
that you have some new functionality.

The Unofficial Ubuntu guide was heavy on the "how" and light on the "why."