Changing the helpers for Firfox

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 1 13:27:55 UTC 2005

stan wrote:

> Mmm, this gets moe interesting.
>
> First, just in case it matters, let me state that I am using the links on
> npr.org to test with.
>
> Now, on the machine _taht works_, when I go to about:plugins, I see no
> evidence of a Realplayer plugin. I dod see Helix DNA "Realplaye
> compatabile" plugin. Also when I access these links, I get a seperate popup
> that plays the Realplayer stream.

Machine one has helixplayer or realplayer installed.  Mplayer-plugin
is not installed on this machine.

> On the machine that _does not_ work, in about:plugins, I see a Realplaer 9
> plugin with teh filenmae of mplayerplugin-rm.so. Clicking on this link
> takes me to a page about mplayer. I _do not_ get an external popup when I
> try to play these links on this mahcine.

Machine two has the mplayer-plugin installed (the Ubuntu package name
is mozilla-mplayer, at least it is on my breezy system).  Machine two
may or may not have helix/realplayer installed.

On my laptop I have the mozilla-mplayer plugin installed.  I also have
RealPlayer 10 installed (manual install from the real.com website).
The mplayer plugin attempts to play real media streams, but it fails.
   I confirmed this on the npr.org website.

To get this working on machine two, you first need to make sure you
have RealPlayer installed.  Then you can either remove the
mozilla-mplayer package, or if you want to use the mplayer plugin for
some media, but not real media, you can (re)move the plugin files.
Here's how I did it:

(1) created a subdirectory within /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (name
out_of_service).

(2) moved these two files from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/out_of_service:

mplayerplug-in-rm.so
mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt

(3) restarted mozilla

Now when I go to npr.org and click on an audio stream link, RealPlayer
opens (in a separate window) and plays the stream.  This did not work
until I moved aside the mplayer-plugin-rm files.

Regards,
Larry