Changing the helpers for Firfox

stan stanb at panix.com
Tue Nov 1 14:04:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 08:27:55AM -0500, Larry Grover wrote:
> stan wrote:
>
> >Mmm, this gets moe interesting.
> >
> >First, just in case it matters, let me state that I am using the links on
> >npr.org to test with.
> >
> >Now, on the machine _taht works_, when I go to about:plugins, I see no
> >evidence of a Realplayer plugin. I dod see Helix DNA "Realplaye
> >compatabile" plugin. Also when I access these links, I get a seperate popup
> >that plays the Realplayer stream.
>
> Machine one has helixplayer or realplayer installed.  Mplayer-plugin
> is not installed on this machine.
>
> >On the machine that _does not_ work, in about:plugins, I see a Realplaer 9
> >plugin with teh filenmae of mplayerplugin-rm.so. Clicking on this link
> >takes me to a page about mplayer. I _do not_ get an external popup when I
> >try to play these links on this mahcine.
>
> Machine two has the mplayer-plugin installed (the Ubuntu package name
> is mozilla-mplayer, at least it is on my breezy system).  Machine two
> may or may not have helix/realplayer installed.
>
> On my laptop I have the mozilla-mplayer plugin installed.  I also have
> RealPlayer 10 installed (manual install from the real.com website).
> The mplayer plugin attempts to play real media streams, but it fails.
>   I confirmed this on the npr.org website.
>
> To get this working on machine two, you first need to make sure you
> have RealPlayer installed.  Then you can either remove the
> mozilla-mplayer package, or if you want to use the mplayer plugin for
> some media, but not real media, you can (re)move the plugin files.
> Here's how I did it:

Thanks very much for takig the tie to solve my problem!

I'll do this this evening, and I'm certain all will be well.

Out of curiosity, I'm trying to better understand whats going on here. Is
it a corect analysis that:

1. On machine 1 the NPR streams are recognized as not being handled by any
plugin, and Realplaer is being invled to handle them?

2. On machien 2 Firefox beleives it can handle tehse streams with an
internam (mpalyer) plugin.

2b. This plugin cannot corectly handle these streams?

BTW can anyone show me a Rrealplayer location that the mplayer plugin _can_
handle?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967