Services at Boot + kernel optimization

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sat May 28 20:27:21 UTC 2005

> Vince,
>
> > I like the clean/simple/light-weight design of Ubuntu, but it looks like
> > it could be made even cleaner, by removing many scripts.
> > I assume that the less processes/things are running on a machine, the
> > faster, but more importantly the more reliable and robust it is, no ?
>
> I think this depends largely on what these processes are doing! If they
> are sitting there idle, then they are consuming memory and little else.
> If the system gets short on memory, then these guys should get swapped
> out to disk and if they never need to run again will probably never get
> swapped back to memory, so in the long term I'm not sure they have a
> great effect on performance. (I'm referring to when the system is up and
> running, of course there is an impact on startup time).
>
> Tony.

Ah, they don't do much harm then...
Still, we could remove a few scripts that are indeed unnecessary, based
on the H/W set-up (laptop or not, RAID devices or not, dial-up modem or
not, and so on), these could be added automatically if hotplug later
detects new H/W, or added manually, but add services that aren't
directly related to H/W, and "may" be used, like ssh, things like
that...

So basically, not lowering the count of scripts, but just replace
unnecessary ones by others that make more sense. Just make things more
efficient basically! :-)

--
Vince