Services at Boot + kernel optimization

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat May 28 20:02:18 UTC 2005

Vince,

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 21:26 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> I like the clean/simple/light-weight design of Ubuntu, but it looks like
> it could be made even cleaner, by removing many scripts.
> I assume that the less processes/things are running on a machine, the
> faster, but more importantly the more reliable and robust it is, no ?

I think this depends largely on what these processes are doing! If they
are sitting there idle, then they are consuming memory and little else.
If the system gets short on memory, then these guys should get swapped
out to disk and if they never need to run again will probably never get
swapped back to memory, so in the long term I'm not sure they have a
great effect on performance. (I'm referring to when the system is up and
running, of course there is an impact on startup time).

The thing they also occupy is process slots. If you are running a very
busy system and run short of process slots, then these redundant
processes will cause problems, but I think there would be problems
anyway if the system is that short of slots.

Regards,
Tony.
Manchester Computing, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold