kernel optimization

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 19:51:18 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 21:26 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> > Also, as an addendum, I discovered I was running the i386 kernel.
>
> Yep, that's the default kernel...
>
> > I found the k7 i686 kernel in synaptic under linux-kernel image.
> > So, I installed it and now I'm running the optimized kernel.
> > The performance increase is quite remarkable.
>
> Hmmm, I remember, with Warty, trying the i686 and K7 kernels.. never
> noticed any difference. What should I look for precisely ? I remember
> timing start-up time of OpenOffice, and in all cases, it took 10.5s...
> no less no more. Overall reponsiveness of the desktop didn't seem
> improved either, not in a sensible/detectable way at least.
> But that was with Warty, I upgraded to Hoary recently, I will try the
> other kernel again, might be luckier...
> When I tried the kernel with Warty, I had 512MB of RAM, 768MB now with
> Hoary, maybe that will make difference ??
>
> --
> Vince

I didn't benchmark anything - I just noticed apps opening faster -
especially Firefox and the major applications. Just an overall better
response with windows, folders, etc. Of course, I have it optimized
already.

I used synaptic and found linux-image-2.6.10-5-k7 which installed
2.6.10-34.1

The message dialog had a couple of interesting notes:

Linux kernel image for version 2.6.10 on AMD K7.
This package contains the Linux kernel image for version 2.6.10 on
AMD Duron/Athlon, the corresponding System.map file, and the modules
built by the packager...

Kernel image packages are generally produced using kernel-package,
and it is suggested that you install that package if you wish to
create a custom kernel from the sources.

Tom