Services at Boot + kernel optimization

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sat May 28 20:58:11 UTC 2005

> Ah, they don't do much harm then...
> Still, we could remove a few scripts that are indeed unnecessary, based
> on the H/W set-up (laptop or not, RAID devices or not, dial-up modem or
> not, and so on), these could be added automatically if hotplug later
> detects new H/W, or added manually, but add services that aren't
> directly related to H/W, and "may" be used, like ssh, things like
> that...
>
> So basically, not lowering the count of scripts, but just replace
> unnecessary ones by others that make more sense. Just make things more
> efficient basically! :-)

The premise of most Linux developers was expressed perfectly by Tony. I
completely agree provided that your machine stays up, the processes go
to sleep and move out of RAM, etc. You can run the command "top" and
watch what happens.

But, desktop users tend to shutdown and boot up regularly, especially
laptop users. Also, some processes do listen on ports actively. Samba,
for example does a massive amount of broadcasting.

So, you might wish to consider your circumstances and go from there.

I'm also of a mind to turn everything off except sshd and start in a
very hard mode. When I need a service, I'll turn it on if I have to.

That's for security reasons.