note pads (was Re: Is Linux a desktop operating system?)

john levin john at technolalia.org
Sat May 28 17:41:21 UTC 2005

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

>>>So where did you get notecase from? I'm presuming you're talking  about
>>>this:
>>>http://notecase.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>yup
>>

>>>Did you compile it for Ubuntu?
>>
>>no. using it on windows where I can dictate.
>

> <..>
>
>>>I am sorely tempted to go compile it right now ... if I get
>>>encouragement, then ... well, we'll see.
>>
>>go on. do it do it doit.
>

> Yes, please do, and let us know what you needed to add to your Ubuntu
> system to make it work. I tried a quick stab at it and it told me I
> needed unix2dos, which apparently is not on mine and not available
> through the Ubuntu mirrors.
>
> Btw, the screenshot looks a lot like that of TreePad. I would like to do
> a comparisons some time and see which is more usable. I'd gladly move on
> if there was something better.
>
> Paul

Okay, I've tried it with alien:
sudo alien -i notecase-0.8.7-1.fc3.i386.rpm
On trying to start it for the first time, got the error message:
notecase: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot
Fixed this by installing libstdc++6 and gcc4.
After that, it worked fine (as far as I can tell).
Note to users: you can only use the file tree section through the
right-click mouse menu. Can't remember if that's the case in Windows,
I'll take a look later, but it's a big usabilty problem.

I'll have a crack at debianising/ubuntu-ising it after the weekend.

John