note pads (was Re: Is Linux a desktop operating system?)

Paul M. Bucalo ubuntuser at pmbservices.com
Sat May 28 18:07:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 09:45 -0700, Karl wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 12:11 -0400, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
>
> > Yes, please do, and let us know what you needed to add to your Ubuntu
> > system to make it work. I tried a quick stab at it and it told me I
> > needed unix2dos, which apparently is not on mine and not available
> > through the Ubuntu mirrors.
>
> I downloaded the Fedora rpm, used alien to convert it to a deb, and it
> installed with no problem.
> Haven't gotten around to actually trying it out yet.  :)

Cool!

The first and only time I tried to use alien was on Woody/Sarge a while
back and it didn't work for the situation. Been kind of gun-shy to try
it with an FC 3 RPM for that reason. I'm glad that it worked
(install-wise). Since it will be removable (I hope) this way, I may try
it as a conversion before compiling.

Paul