Hoary and No Sound...But I did have it once!

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Fri May 27 23:51:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Lee McLain wrote:

Hi Lee,

>    I then changed settings on XMMS to try OSS driver and then the
> eSound output.  I got it to work with eSound, but I thought that
> Ubuntu used ALSA for all the sound?!?

Ubuntu currently uses:

  ALSA (low-level) <- OSS (interface) <- esd (multiple-sources) <- Programs

so currently you have to set programs to use 'esd';  or disable/kill 'esd'
to get programs that want to talk OSS to work (only one application at a
time though).

The long-term plan is to have a setup that accepts OSS, ESD, ALSA, gstreamer
APIs and mixes the whole lot with 'dmix' onto of ALSA.

> I can't get any sound from any CD player software, either.

 (a) Did it work before?
 (b) Do you have a physical audio cable?  If so, try enable CD audio in the
     mixer.
 (c) Otherwise, player needs to 'rip' it from the drive and feed it back as
     PCM wave data (through ESD).

	-Paul
--
It sometimes snows here.  Nottingham, GB