Is Linux a desktop operating system?

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri May 27 21:08:42 UTC 2005

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 14:56 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>
>>David Kaisemann wrote:
>>
>>>There is no jobs (works, things, etc.) that can't be done in
>>>Linux!
>>
>>err umm..
>>
>>http://www.writewaypro.com/
>>http://www.ravensheadservices.com/
>

> Eric,
>
> Your comment about lack of writing software lead me here after a quick
> search through Google:
>
> http://paperfrog.com/blog/archives/000254.php
>
> I'm sure you are correct about software designed to make a writer's task
> easier, however, many of us do well enough with more generic software
> programs in Linux, as suggested by the article above. As a matter of
> fact, I still have a Tandy TRS-80 Model 100 Portable Computer, which was
> in its hay-day the standard for many journalists in the field.
>
> Paul :0)

:-)

I use keynote but am switching to notecase for my writing.  I find it
helpful to be able to collect info in different bins.  but these tools
are not quiet good enough.

for example, I'm working on a story about rovers and humans on mars
being spirit guides to each other.  I need to collect lots of info on
mars missions, create realistic time lines etc.. if a tool can help with
that process or collecting and organizing writing, gimme!

but writing aside, I need NaturallySpeaking or some equivelent.  the old
viavoice for linux was the best of the lot and it was a piece of s***.
mebby someday wine will be able to handle the oddball installer used by NS.

--- eric