local harddisks mounted to /mnt or /media won't show up on the desktop

S. Donig my-mailfloods at web.de
Tue May 24 08:44:29 UTC 2005

> For things to turn up in the desktop and/or computer  it needs to be
> mounted with the "user" option. If the devices are mounted automaticly
> on startup, then check /etc/fstab  if the device has the option "user".
> Devices that are mounted automaticly when you plug them in should have
> the "user" option set automaticly.

Thanks Kent. I appreciate your help.

Actually I tried both: "real" automounting and adding a device entry in
fstab by hand. My post - sorry to have been imprecise - refers to a
system with entries in fstab. (By the way it shouldn't matter regarding
whether an icon is put on the desktop or not, should it?)
Anyway, it's:
/dev/hda1  /media/WinXP   vfat  user,umask=000 0  0
And executing "mount" prints out clearly:
/dev/hda1 on /media/WinXP type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)

As the partition actually get's mounted and is reachable via the tree
it's only a minor problem that there's no icon on the desktop.
Nonetheless it's a bit bugging.

Any suggestions where one might look into further on?
(gam_server or gnome-volume-manager, maybe?)