local harddisks mounted to /mnt or /media won't show up on the desktop

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Tue May 24 12:57:42 UTC 2005

tis 2005-05-24 klockan 10:44 +0200 skrev S. Donig:
> > For things to turn up in the desktop and/or computer  it needs to be
> > mounted with the "user" option. If the devices are mounted automaticly
> > on startup, then check /etc/fstab  if the device has the option "user".
> > Devices that are mounted automaticly when you plug them in should have
> > the "user" option set automaticly.
>
> Thanks Kent. I appreciate your help.
>
> Actually I tried both: "real" automounting and adding a device entry in
> fstab by hand. My post - sorry to have been imprecise - refers to a
> system with entries in fstab. (By the way it shouldn't matter regarding
> whether an icon is put on the desktop or not, should it?)
> Anyway, it's:
> /dev/hda1  /media/WinXP   vfat  user,umask=000 0  0
> And executing "mount" prints out clearly:
> /dev/hda1 on /media/WinXP type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=000)
>
> As the partition actually get's mounted and is reachable via the tree
> it's only a minor problem that there's no icon on the desktop.
> Nonetheless it's a bit bugging.
>
> Any suggestions where one might look into further on?
> (gam_server or gnome-volume-manager, maybe?)

If I understand you correctly, you have a windows partition that you
mount. That partition is viewable from Computer->Filesystem (in the
filesystem tree)?
But you dont get an icon for it on the desktop or in Computer?
But randomly you *somtiemes* get one?

That is strange :(

I cant understand why the mounted /dev/hda1 which has the option "user"
in fstab, dont get mounted with that option. Since, if you look at what
the system says when you check with the command "mount", it dont mention
that option :(

Very strange indeed.
I think you should file a bug on bugzilla.ubuntu.com about this. And
dont forget to mention these things.

--
Kent Nyberg <nyberg.kent at spray.se>