local harddisks mounted to /mnt or /media won't show up on the desktop

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Mon May 23 16:22:10 UTC 2005

mån 2005-05-23 klockan 07:22 +0200 skrev S. Donig:
> Hi list,
>
> just a cosmetic question, never the less annoying.
> Local harddisks or partitions get automounted on my hoary install but
> won't show up on the desktop.
> I checked that in gconf-editor the nautilus option volumes_visible is
> set. Also, when I check in computer:/// everything in fine. There's just
> no icon visible. In very rare cases it's created unreliably at startup,
> sometimes it will show up after plugging in an external harddisk, but if
> visible before it might as well disappear when the external harddisk
> icon comes up.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Simon

For things to turn up in the desktop and/or computer  it needs to be
mounted with the "user" option. If the devices are mounted automaticly
on startup, then check /etc/fstab  if the device has the option "user".
Devices that are mounted automaticly when you plug them in should have
the "user" option set automaticly.

--
Kent Nyberg <nyberg.kent at spray.se>