local harddisks mounted to /mnt or /media won't show up on the desktop

S. Donig my-mailfloods at web.de
Mon May 23 05:22:09 UTC 2005

Hi list,

just a cosmetic question, never the less annoying.
Local harddisks or partitions get automounted on my hoary install but
won't show up on the desktop.
I checked that in gconf-editor the nautilus option volumes_visible is
set. Also, when I check in computer:/// everything in fine. There's just
no icon visible. In very rare cases it's created unreliably at startup,
sometimes it will show up after plugging in an external harddisk, but if
visible before it might as well disappear when the external harddisk
icon comes up.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Simon