gdm not starting

Mike S michael_six at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 23 09:49:41 UTC 2005

Michael wrote:

> I have been tinkering around trying to get more screen resolutions in
> GNOME, however when I tried to change them it caused gnome to freeze,
> unfortunately on an unsupported setting.  So I am guessing that when
> gdm treis to start up it tries to use that setting because gdm will no
> longer start up.  Xorg.0.log has always done a good job of confusing
> me, and now it is saying something about needing a screen defined for
> each resource or something to that effect.  I shudder at the idea of
> having to reinstall the whole ubuntu, as I have downloaded many
> packages that were not small (to me) for it.  Does anyone on this list
> know how I can fix this?
>
> --Mike S

Well I fixed the  problem, though I am not sure why it worked.  I will
have to investigate the matter further,  but in the end what worked was
simply booting the ubuntu livecd and copying the /etc/X11 folder back to
the linux partition, just incaase someone else has a similar problem.
But note that would probably only work if you can get X working on the
LiveCD.

--Mike S