Getting the mic to work on a Thinkpad?

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Thu May 19 02:06:49 UTC 2005

I remember having a hard time too.  Once I killed the esd service, and
used the command line (console) alsamixer, I would use the left and
right keys to choose the 'mic' channel, then use the < and > keys to
turn on the mic, and use the space bar to select it as the recording
device, then things started to make sense to me.  There's also a Mic
Boost that you can see and try in the alsamixer.  Once I understood
the alsamixer, the OSS mixer in the gnome interface seemed to make
more sense too.

Another fun excersize is to try Audacity.  I definately had to
'killall esd' before it would work, but it has an input selector and a
mic input level right in plain sight on the toolbar... it worked for
me the first time and every time.

I have a thinkpad T40, and once I got the mic to work, I decided it
picks up way too much system / fan / hard drive / electrical noise to
be much use.

-Jim