trouble with mounting a smbfs on the network

Drewcore drewsph at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:04:33 UTC 2005

On 5/16/05, James Wilkinson <ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> What sort of hardware trouble? What sort of network?

it's just a private network in the house so we can share our cable
internet connection. it's a crappy belkin router and some generic
cards (i'm sure). it's a wireless router but all the computers but one
(including mine and the one with music) are wired.

> Can you spot any sort of pattern to how long it takes for the share to
> become unusable? What happens if you use it heavily? Not at all?

the closest thing to a pattern that i see is after playing a song (or
near the end of one), the share "freezes" for a few moments. then,
after 3 or 4 minutes, xmms just starts playing the next song. also,
xmms is frozen as well during this time.

> Run a continuous ping while you're playing music. See if anything
> happens to the ping when you start playing and when the share unmounts.

tried this, and the ping stays consistently under 0.3ms, until the
share freezes, then i get one 540ms ping, then the traffic goes back
to normal (<0.3ms) while the share remains frozen..

thanks for the advice
drew
--
dc .. drewcore.com