trouble with mounting a smbfs on the network

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed May 18 22:18:00 UTC 2005

I suggested:

Drewcore wrote:
> tried this, and the ping stays consistently under 0.3ms, until the
> share freezes, then i get one 540ms ping, then the traffic goes back
> to normal (<0.3ms) while the share remains frozen..

That's not normal (obviously).

What happens if you ping the router while you're having trouble? Do you
get the same trouble between you and the router?

How about other devices on the network?

Can you try with everything else unplugged from the network?

What sort of network card do you have? What driver does it use? You may
be able to deduce this from the Device Manager (run from the menus or
from hal-device-manager). Or take a look at lspci and lsmod.

Thanks,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | I learnt the rules of rugby. There is only one rule.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Skip it by any means necessary".