trouble with mounting a smbfs on the network

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon May 16 19:24:37 UTC 2005

Drewcore wrote:
> hi guys. my roommate has about 60 gbs of music on a shared folder on
> his XP machine. i was mouting the share and listening to all his music
> without any trouble, until i had a hardware problem and reinstalled
> hoary. now, i can get the share to mount, but it unmounts itself or
> becomes unusable, often in the middle of me listening to a song. any
> ideas as to what would cause this sort of behavior?

What sort of hardware trouble? What sort of network?

Can you spot any sort of pattern to how long it takes for the share to
become unusable? What happens if you use it heavily? Not at all?

With his co-operation, you could test the underlying network link by
setting up an FTP server (or, probably better, an SSH server) on your
computer. Then log into it over the network from his computer. (Use the
PuTTY suite if you use SSH). Send and receive files as large as you can
cope with.

Look at the output of /sbin/ifconfig (before playing, while playing and
after you have problems) to check whether you're getting any transport
errors.

Run a continuous ping while you're playing music. See if anything
happens to the ping when you start playing and when the share unmounts.

Use
ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10 duplex half
to set the network to 10 Mbit/s half duplex (assuming that it's a wired
Ethernet card on eth0).

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | those of my employer, are not necessarily mine,