Forcing specific audio driver for alsa?

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Sun May 15 22:45:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:36:55AM EST, Michael Vert wrote:
> I have problems recording mono audio files. Only a medium pitched tone
> is recorded. Stereo recordings work ok.
>
> There are some application which need the mono recording mode, e.g. Skype.
>
> I tried various Live-CDs which all show the same effect (the tone),
> except Knoppix. Also, if I take the time to install Skype under Knoppix,
> it does work.
>
> lsmod shows that Knoppix does not use alsa (it uses oss), and that it
> uses the "maestro" driver.
>
> Is it possible to disable the alsa auto-detect function and force the
> use of the maestro driver (which is available in Ubuntu)?

Try adding maestro to the end of your /etc/modules file to ensure the
module gets loaded at startup. This in theory should prevent the
equivelant ALSA driver loading.

I would also submit a bug with the ALSA folks telling them your problem,
and letting them know that things seem to work fine with the OSS driver,
which they could probably look at for a sollution.

Hope this helps.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE