Winmodem

Colin McDermott colmcd at optusnet.com.au
Sun May 15 22:48:43 UTC 2005

>>I created an account with pppconfig. I'm not sure
which Com port to use but I've tried using all of
them(S0-S4). And when I type sudo pon, I get the same
message:

/usr/sbin/pppd: In file /etc/ppp/peers/provider:
unrecognized option '/dev/modem'

lspci says that I have a microelectronics winmodem
56k. Prior to that information it says: 0000:00:030 -
would that indicate Com 3??

Hi Lisa.

I have been able to get pppconfig working with an external modem. My first tip to you: Buy an external modem. Second tip buy an external modem. If you must persevere then here is what little I can help with.

Here is a useful link:

The huge problem with Internal modems is that there is only a very tiny range that are supported.
I do not believe that internal modems ever map to a com port without intervention. You would have to do this manually.

Also try lspci -X (mode for using it in xorg) I believe that 0000:00:030- means that it is on address PCI:0:3:0. I just find that gives a more humane understanding of the address. The 3 bit has more to do with the PCI slots and bus then the internals of your modem.

As a computer re cycler desperate for parts, I Recycle or give away internal modems. For $40 to $70 for a new external modem I think that it is a bargain.

If you do get it working please tell me how.

Colin McDermott