Forcing specific audio driver for alsa?

Michael Vert vmike at gmx.net
Sun May 15 21:36:55 UTC 2005

I'm running an old notebook Fujitsu Lifebook E-6570.

The built-in sound card is recognized as

  ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E (rev 10)

Alsa uses the

  snd-es1968

driver, which works.... most of the time.

I have problems recording mono audio files. Only a medium pitched tone
is recorded. Stereo recordings work ok.

There are some application which need the mono recording mode, e.g. Skype.

I tried various Live-CDs which all show the same effect (the tone),
except Knoppix. Also, if I take the time to install Skype under Knoppix,
it does work.

lsmod shows that Knoppix does not use alsa (it uses oss), and that it
uses the "maestro" driver.

Is it possible to disable the alsa auto-detect function and force the
use of the maestro driver (which is available in Ubuntu)?

If so, how?

Mike