Slow Wireless Network Connection

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun May 15 11:55:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 08:36:34PM -0400, Ropetin Again wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestion as to what might be going on?  I have
> zero WLAN experience in Linux so I'm kind of lost.

It's possible that under Linux, for some reason, you're
connecting to a different WiFi hotspot than you are under
Windows. Type

iwconfig

to see which hotspot you're connecting to.

If you're connecting to a different hotspot than you want,
you can do

iwconfig [network interface] essid [correct ESSID]

where [network interface] is something like 'eth0'.

Sometimes the WLAN drivers for Linux are still in
development, so they may not have all the features that
Windows ones have.

Windows also allows you to specify that certain WiFi
hotspots are 'preferred' (i.e., if they're available, you'll
always connect to them), whereas I don't think the same
ability exists in Linux.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org