Slow Wireless Network Connection

Niko Lewman ubuntu at webbitakomo.fi
Sun May 15 08:08:38 UTC 2005

Ropetin Again kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 15. toukokuuta 2005 03:36):
> Good afternoon all, I've come across a small problem with my Ubuntu
> install that I would love to be able to fix.
>
> I'm using a Dell Laptop, Inspiron 9200, and the installation of Hoary
> went perfectly.  Its detected my Internal Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and
> its working very well, apart from one thing.  I dual boot the machine
> with Win XP and file transfer across the WLAN takes, give or take, 3
> times as long in Linux.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion as to what might be going on?  I have
> zero WLAN experience in Linux so I'm kind of lost.
>
> Ropetin.

Hi

You need to check your /etc/network/interfaces, sometimes for G-cards you need to establish the transfer rate manually.

To setup networking.
Edit your /etc/network/interfaces and add for example

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wireless_mode managed
        wireless_channel CHANNEL
        wireless_essid ESSID
        wireless_rate 11M

I guess this is what you need to do. This set up fetches all required networking settings by DHCP. Adjust it to your needs, especially CHANNEL and ESSID. The wireless_ stanzas are not required but I suggest you set them especially when having problems with speed or connectivity.
You can set "any" for ESSID to have many drivers connect to the "most appropriate" access point in range.

"auto wlan0" instructs the networking system to bring the device up at boot time. You can omit the line and add "wlan0" to any existing auto stanza. (or whatever applies to your configuration, use iwconfig to find out)

Details:
wireless_mode managed  Access point mode. Any in range is a possible connection candidate.
wireless_mode ad-hoc     Any peer in range is a possible connection candidate, i.e. there is no need for an access point

wireless_channel   Set the frequency channel. Possible values (in Europe) are 1-12.
wireless_essid        Limit all available connection candidates to the ones matching your essid. You can permanently set your link to the peer matching this string.
wireless_rate          Lock the transmission bitrate to 1M, 2M, 5.5M, 11M, 22M, auto. Only works if supported by the device.

I hope this helps
--
 Niko Lewman
www.webbitakomo.fi