bad grub

Brian Astill bastill at adam.com.au
Sun May 15 01:05:02 UTC 2005

I have my own bootloader, so I didn't want grub when I installed hoary
recently, so answered the grub questions "No".  I was _very_ annoyed when the
install reboot presented me with that obscure ">grub" prompt.  :-(

Is this a bug in ubuntu?

I got the system going again (thanks to google and my other system) by:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
grub> initrd /initrd.img
grub> boot

Then updated (using synaptic/smart updates) and looked at the system and
noticed that /boot/grub did not contain a "menu.lst" file.  Thinking that
this was the reason for the "grub>" prompt, I put a menu.lst in that
directory.  On reboot all I got was GRUB and a freeze only cured by
ctrl-alt-delete.  Maybe that "menu.lst" was faulty? - So I removed it using
Freesbie.  Unfortunately, that didn't help.  Selecting "Linux" from my
bootloader still gives me that uppercase word GRUB and a complete freeze.

Anyone know how I can recover?  Even a return to the "grub>" prompt would be
helpful.

--
Regards,
Brian