Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu May 12 20:27:36 UTC 2005

> I argued that the Ubuntu project is not typical of other Linux
> distributions and a market exists for an Ubuntu book.

Indeed ! :o)

> Without flaming this post, please, what do you think? Would an O'Reilly
> Book on Ubuntu have a following?

Yep, you can count on me, I have not yet bought any book on Linux, but
since I intend to stick with Ubuntu for some years to come, as nothing
comes close to it, I would be ooooooverjoyed to be able to buy Ubuntu
specific book as my first printed material ! :o))))

> What kind of book would would people want? a newbie book, a book for
> experienced Linux users or somewhere in between?

Maybe a clever mix of both newb and "expert" material ? Like for each
subject, you start with the obvious/newb stuff, then you add a bit more
info targeted at expert users. Advanced options, special/unsual
cases/configurations, so that people can read the book twice. A first
read when they discover Ubuntu, then as they start to master the thing
and fell confident, they can read the book again but concentrate on the
"advanced" parts. The layout/graphic presentatin of the material should
make it easy to tell the advanced stuff from the newb stuff, though.
For example write two pages for newb stuff first, blakc letters over
white background, then at the end of a topic, add more advanced material
in white letters over mid-grey background. I don't know, something that
looks nice and is easy to spot.

> I will let the editor know if this post gets any responses and from
> that, he can make a decision.

Please keep us informed :o)

--
Vince