Ubuntu Book by O'Reilly?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Fri May 13 03:33:16 UTC 2005

> I support this position:  UBUNTU changes very fast and the only variant that may
> be kept  on date is to publish the book on WEB. We have such book about Debian,
> differences between Debian and UBUNTU may be published there.

Not very practical for people that don't have internet !
And not practical at all regardless.
Given that it seems the primary target is mainly beginners, what they
need is sometihng specific to their system, and something that's self
sufficient. Having to buy a Debian book when you just got yourself
"Ubuntu" is not exactly logical. Then having to log on the internet to
find info on how to setup your internet connection on your new machine
with your new OS, is not only hardly user friendly, but also a chicken
and egg situation........
Newb would want, ideally, something that pertains to their system, with
everything they need to install and configure and run and maintain and
use their system. Everything the average user might have to face or ask
himself in the early days of his learning curve. Because that's what he
needs and will find useful. Once one has got past this point, he can
find info by himself, whereever it is. But for beginners, the book ought
to be really Ubuntu specific and written with the average joe in mind.
If people get Ubuntu, you will be hard pressed to justify flogging them
a Debian book. It's a bit like telling your mum who just got WIndows
Longhorn : hey mummy, here is a nice "getting started" guide for MS-DOS
5.0 I dug out from my shelves, read that first then you can always find
out how MS build on it over the years to get to Longhorn.
What mum needs is a "getting started" book about Lonhgorn, not MS-DOS
5.0......

--
Vince