Some bugs

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Thu May 12 09:24:14 UTC 2005

Frank,

Thanks for your information!

As a point, you can file bugs at http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com where they
are kept track of and more likely to receive attention by the
appropriate person.

> ------------------------------- ONE --------------------------------
> If I boot my computer with the network settings <eth0 inet dhcp> on a
> network without an active dhcp server I get
>
> during doot:

> Setting up network interfaces		[OK]
>
> after login network-admin reports that eth0 is configured and active.
> A typical user (human being) is probably considering a configured and
> active network interface to be a FUNCTIONAL network interface.
> If I (what a typical user won't do) open a terminal and run ``ifconfig''
> I see that the interface doesn't have an IP address.
>
> Consider this to be a bug.
>
> I had a look into /etc/network and found some strange settings
> in /etc/network/interfaces. Can anyone give me a hint how this is meant
> and where to investigate further?
I think your right and this is a bug, this should be reported on
bugzilla.

> --------------------------------- TWO -------------------------------
>
> Setting up my default xsession to be anything else than gnome (I use to
> use Fluxbox, but have the same behavior with AfterSTEP, Enlightenment,
> Blackbox and WondowMaker) my user xsession file won't be run. Yes, I do
> have allow-user-xsession in /etc/X11/Xsession.options.
>
> Consider this to be a gdm setup bug.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint how this is meant and where to investigate
> further?

I am not sure, but afaik the .Xsession file (xinitrc, etc) is used for
your own custom session, and you may wish to OVERRIDE it to log into a
different desktop (which is another 'session'), and so this is in fact
not really a bug.

HOWEVER, the fact that it loads it with GNOME is inconsistent, a
possible behavior explanation could be that the default session should
try the users xsession because it is expected that your xsession is
followed by default, however that still seems a bit wrong to me.

Someone else might have a better idea.

> ... or I'm simply on the wrong list here. Please point me to the right
> one.
Bugzilla is good!

> Thanks in advance
> Frank