Some bugs

Frank Schafer frank.schafer at t-systems.cz
Thu May 12 07:45:58 UTC 2005

Hi,

------------------------------- ONE --------------------------------
If I boot my computer with the network settings <eth0 inet dhcp> on a
network without an active dhcp server I get

during doot:

Setting up network interfaces		[OK]

after login network-admin reports that eth0 is configured and active.
A typical user (human being) is probably considering a configured and
active network interface to be a FUNCTIONAL network interface.
If I (what a typical user won't do) open a terminal and run ``ifconfig''
I see that the interface doesn't have an IP address.

Consider this to be a bug.

I had a look into /etc/network and found some strange settings
in /etc/network/interfaces. Can anyone give me a hint how this is meant
and where to investigate further?

--------------------------------- TWO -------------------------------

Setting up my default xsession to be anything else than gnome (I use to
use Fluxbox, but have the same behavior with AfterSTEP, Enlightenment,
Blackbox and WondowMaker) my user xsession file won't be run. Yes, I do
have allow-user-xsession in /etc/X11/Xsession.options.

Consider this to be a gdm setup bug.

Can anyone give me a hint how this is meant and where to investigate
further?

... or I'm simply on the wrong list here. Please point me to the right
one.

Thanks in advance
Frank