Some bugs

Frank Schafer frank.schafer at t-systems.cz
Thu May 12 11:32:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 17:24 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:

> > Setting up my default xsession to be anything else than gnome (I use to
> > use Fluxbox, but have the same behavior with AfterSTEP, Enlightenment,
> > Blackbox and WondowMaker) my user xsession file won't be run. Yes, I do
> > have allow-user-xsession in /etc/X11/Xsession.options.
> >
> > Consider this to be a gdm setup bug.
> >

> I am not sure, but afaik the .Xsession file (xinitrc, etc) is used for
> your own custom session, and you may wish to OVERRIDE it to log into a
> different desktop (which is another 'session'), and so this is in fact
> not really a bug.
>
> HOWEVER, the fact that it loads it with GNOME is inconsistent, a
> possible behavior explanation could be that the default session should
> try the users xsession because it is expected that your xsession is
> followed by default, however that still seems a bit wrong to me.
>
> Someone else might have a better idea.

Nope, ~/.xsession is a file to customize a users session. It allowes a
user to run programs automatically in his sessions. (I use to run
gkrellm and xscreensaver.) I know, gnome has invented this wheel a
second time, but I don't use gnome. ~./xsession is usually ran (if
allowed) at the end of the system xsession file.

I've solved this. Replaced gdm by xdm.

Thanks
Frank