AW: Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

vailima vailima at icontech.com
Tue May 10 20:41:18 UTC 2005

Mr. Gehard;

Just a short note to thank you for your interest in the topic.

On this end, I've deleted all data on the "Charley" drive and re-install Ubuntu, giving it the entire ten (10) gigabytes to operate in.

As was the case with past experience with Mandrake Linux (v7.0, v8.0 and 9.1) there are definite patters starting to show with regard to installing Linux on these machines which for the most part have been intended to use a MS OS.

With the recent, the latest Ubuntu install, while on the surface it appears to have gone well, the following deficiencies were noted (and repeated) and are being worked on, one at a time:

1. No Sound
2. Won't recognize the Printer
3. Won't recognize the Modem
4. Won't recognize the Scanner

but I've seen this all before with Mandrake's varients of Linux, all but the wipe out or possible "lockout" of the data on the Windows side of the hard drive; and I've lost count of the number of times I've installed, re-installed Mandrake Linux on the same machine, without losing one bit of the MS Win98SE data; partitioning and the like is not new ground for me. Perhaps it was a fluke or flaw with that Grub release in Ubuntu. Perhaps it was my fault. At this point, as often as I've worked with Mandrake, installing it and re-installing the Linux software (the results of which was never consistant with each install or re-install) as I had backups of most of the data which was lost, no great harm was done ... but so far Ubuntu has been a real education.