Warty Install Issues: Sound, Printer, Modem, Scanner. Quoting-Style

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Tue May 10 22:12:54 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag 10 Mai 2005 22:41 schrieb vailima:
> 1. No Sound
> 2. Won't recognize the Printer
> 3. Won't recognize the Modem
> 4. Won't recognize the Scanner

Hello Vaillima,

Please open for each issue a new thread in this maillist, or at least
change the subject according to the new content of the post/mail.

Further, please, avoid top-posting, at least  in long threads. I noticed
that in an other email within this thread about your modem problem, and
I was rather confused, because I had to read from the bottom to the top
of your message, to follow the conversation. Its much more convenient
in maillists to do an interleaved form of quoting and commenting or at
least 'bottom-posting', because this saves the logical and causal
relation in a communication. The answer follows the question and not
vice versa.

Like I quoted and wrote in an earlier mail in this list on the topic
'top-quoting' read RFC1855 as a quasi-standard for posting in forums:

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt :
    - If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
      summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
      enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
      sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
      Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
      postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
      response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
      helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

But keep in mind to edit the quoted lines to a reasonable content.
Otherwise This might lead the poster to let the whole bunch of quote
untouched and wrote his short "I agree!" message on the buttom of the
mail.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

Regarding your problems, I want to insist, that you should open a new
thread for each issue, I can say this:

> 1. No Sound
Please, tell the soundcard manufactor and model. Try System >
Preferences > Multimedia System   . Choose esd. Post the error
messages.
http://www.alsa-project.org
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
$ dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base.

> 2. Won't recognize the Printer
Also post the printermodel and error messages as well. dpkg -l *cups*
http://www.linuxprinting.org/
http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
$ dpkg-reconfigure cupssys
$ dpkg-reconfigure cupssys-bsd
$ dpkg-reconfigure foomatic-filter

> 3. Won't recognize the Modem
Same as in 1. and 2. look on the webpage for linmodems and ask google.
http://start.at/modem "Winmodems are *NOT* modems"
http://free.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/winmodem.html Huige List of
supported and unsupported (win)modems.
http://linmodems.org/

> 4. Won't recognize the Scanner
The same as in 1.-3. Have a look at http://www.sane-project.org/
especially here http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
$ sane-find-scanner

Use google ubuntu.com/wiki and ubuntuforums.org.

e.g. :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%24HOWTO+site%3Aalsa-project.org&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%24PRINTERNAME+site%3Alinuxprinting.org&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=linmodems+site%3Aubuntu.com&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%24ITEM+site%3Asane-project.org&btnG=Search

I hope that helps a little. Please open new threads for these issues.

Kind regards

Gerhard