AW: Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

nocturn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue May 10 08:13:59 UTC 2005

Arjan Geven - CURE Wrote:
> > Yes, it did.  The installer popped up some questions about

> > partitioning, and you had the default one (use entire disk).

> > To save your partitions, you need to manually create space and add
> the

> > partitions you need.  This is not the best situation for newbie
> users,

> > I do admit that.

> > nocturn

> Who's to blame in a situation where a system defaults to erasing an

> entire disk and whiping out all data: The user who did not read

> carefully enough, or the software that defaults to erasing all data?

> Anyone remember Three Miles Island? The operators made huge mistakes

> during analysis of all the blinking lights, warning messages, etc, and

> shut the wrong valves as a result. Are they to blame, or was the
> design

> of the system wrong? I say, the system, for it was a fundamental
> design

> fault. The same here, I'd argue it's NOT the user's fault, but the

> systems, if it doesn't provide clear instructions on what to do.

> Yes, it might be clear to some of you, but apparently, it's not clear

> everybody. Usability should always come first. Perhaps the installer
> for

> Breezy can be changed a little so that these kinds of mistakes don't

> happen as fast in the future?

> Arjan.

Partly, both are.  I agree that the current installer is a bit to
trigger happy about erasing the partition, but I don't think saving the
existing one should be the default either.

That said, any system will fail if the user does not read the messages.
But I agree that the current installer is not so end-user friendly.

--
nocturn