AW: Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

Gerhard Gaußling ggrubbish at web.de
Tue May 10 17:10:04 UTC 2005

Am Dienstag 10 Mai 2005 10:13 schrieb nocturn:
> but I don't think saving the
> existing one should be the default either.

No, I can't agree here! The installer should as default leave the other
partititions untouched, because otherways the user might run into the
trouble of data loss. And that's a strong reason to choose the opposite
default. This is easy to do:

Should the Installer use the whole disk for ubuntu?
 [ *] No, please leave the existing partitition untouched.

 +- In this case the Installer can offer a choise between:
  [*] shrink the existing partitition if possible and
      advice the user to make a backup, WARNING!
      shrink the partitition  could lead into data loss.
  [ ] Interrupt the installation, and Mention the
      possibility to make a backup and shrink the
      partitition with other tools and OS's.
[  ] Yes, delete all data from the disk, to install ubuntu on the
    whole disk. WARNING! This will destroy all data on your Computer!
    Please, make sure, that you made already a backup of your data.

That's easy - isn't it?

Ubuntu is a very easy to use linux distro with a focus on usability, so
it might be interested to be also usable for people who are not that
much into computers.

BTW: I was confronted with the same situation (hoary), but I was pretty
sure about what to do. But it wasn't that intuitive to find out how to
use the partitioning tool. I was used to use cfdisk or fdisk ;-)

After pointing out how to partitition the disk, the tool was quite easy
to use.

Just my two cents.

Kind regards

Gerhard Gaußling