Wlan-Setup

Bernhard berndl81 at gmx.at
Mon May 9 16:47:16 UTC 2005

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to set up a wlan connection on my sister's acer 230 laptop.
I've managed so far to install the wlan-card via ndiswrapper. The
corresponding module is loaded automatically when the notebook is started.

|| iwconfig || lists wlan0 as my wireless device, which is fine. When I
try to set up the wireless connection via the network-manager, I can
choose the device and the available essids of the wlan-net are there as
well.

As suggested in the howto of my wlan-provider, I want to  get an ip
dynamically via dhcp. I set up the connection and loaded the
network-applet in my panel and changed the network interface to wlan 0.
It shows, that the signal strength is at 100%.

The problem is, that I don't get an correct ip-adress via dhcp. When I
type || sudo dhclient wlan0 || I get the message "no dhcpoffers" after a
while.

One possible problem is, that while trying to get information via dhcp,
the subnetmask 255.255.255.255 is used. However, when I connect to the
wlan-net in windows, I clearly see that the used subnet mask is
255.255.255.252.

Another strange thing is, that one does have to log-in to be able to
surf the net. In windows, when the connection is up, Firefox
automatically connects to a secure login page, https://login,...., while
I can't connect at all in ubuntu.

Anyone?
Greets,