Blood Lesson WARNING re "WARTY" Install

vailima vailima at icontech.com
Mon May 9 16:16:59 UTC 2005

Mr. Watson;

The hd has been wiped clean so I won't be able to send a copy of the file you asked for over to you

On this end I am however getting ready to re-try the install process of "WARTY" only this time, it will be the only os on drive "Charley".

The data of value is on drive "Delta"

Something for you to consider as well ...

When I had "WARTY" up and running, it did NOT recognize the following hardwares:

1. The Lexmark E232 laser printer

2. The external ZOOM modem

3. The SCANMASTER V300 scanner

You might also note, when using "WARTY" off of the CD, on my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 5100) it did not at all work well with the Synaptic Touch Pad but then I've never been impressed with the touch pad since day one and wouldn't recommend them. One had to use the HP Wheel Mouse with "WARTY", as hooked up to the USP - at which time "WARTY" gave a good impression of what it was capable of; i.e., it worked quite well, but then I understand that these HP Wheel Mice, as inexpensive as they are, happen to be about the best such units out there. I've bought several of them.

I could not get XMMS (a Linux music player) to come up, let alone go into Win98SE side of the hard drive and pick up the MP3 files. Did it with no problems, repeatedly with Mandrake - which at this point I really don't care for; just too many issues - but a repeatedly demonstrated very good grub set up/system.

As seen on this end "WARTY" has problems but it has potential. I say this as, the few files which come with "WARTY" are such that while the volume of user files and applications which come with the software is essentially "bare bones" when compared to the offerings by Mandrake and the like, as viewed here, the selection was well done; word processors, editors and the like.

You give the impression of one familiar with Linux, so I'll ask you before closing .. I like the Gedit program (very, very similiar to Kedit - and editor which will NOT advise (oral or visual) when you're about to over write a file with the same name) for note taking and for keeping logs. I do not like the default background (all white, with black text). On this end I prefer an all black background with light green foreground/lettering BUT the black background "hides" the black cursor. How can one who wants an all black background, change the color of the color of the cursor? And yes, I've thought about using a dark grey background -- just not as good as all black.