Senao SL 2511 EXT 2 Plus (PCMCIA NIC Card woes)

Ryan Ash metalsand at gmail.com
Mon May 9 04:23:02 UTC 2005

Hello all who reside in the Ubuntu user list,

I'd like to start this e-mail by stating that I've spent, literally, 15
hours trying to get this card to work. This is also my first week using
Linux, so that may have added to the time by a multiplyer of 3 or 4.

Anyway, after trying to do basic iwconfig commands, editing
/etc/network/interfaces, I found that my card generally runs off the driver
wlan-ng, so I went into synaptic, did a search and there it was.

I install it. It didn't work.

My next step was following
https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HowToInstallTheWlanNgDriverInHoary that
HowTo, I went through everything and sure enough, no luck.

I later uninstalled all of that - which was a pain.

Through that guide, and with the help of IRC user ivoks, I installed current
Linux headers and Linux source for my kernel: 2.6.10-5-686. Also, I'll take
this time to mentin that both my card and my PCMCIA slot work - I've used
them both in Windows.

My next step after that, was following the IRC user djm86's advice of
installing the Host AP drivers. I downloaded a .deb for my kernal using
apt-get, extracted, make build, make insall... modprobe reports no errors
for the hostap drivers. After doing mroe fumbling with that (general stuff -
iwconfig, ect) and still not having my card function, I restarted my
computer.

Now when I ifconfig/iwconfig, there's no listed of wlan0 and obviously my
wireless card doesn't work.

I'm always in the channel Ubuntu on
irc.freenode.net<http://irc.freenode.net>and can be contacted on AIM
at ryansmian14