Set Encode: Opperation Not Supported

Jim Pelton j.pelton at utah.edu
Mon May 9 05:27:18 UTC 2005

List,

Hello all.  Alright, this is a bit of a generic linux question.  I've
got a WEP encrypted router at home which I want to use as the gateway to
the internet for my iBook.

I'm using a Linksys WUSB12 dongle with the Prism2 chipset in it and
wlan-ng drivers (version pre25).

When I try to bring the wlan0 interface up using "ifup wlan0" I get
several messages noting that certain functions are not supported.  Most
notably the error Set Encode: Operation Not Supported shows up.

If I run "iwconfig wlan0 key 64Bit-HEXKEY" the same Set Encode error
shows up.  The output of iwconfig shows Encryption Key: off.

How can I get the card to use WEP encryption? The key is in ifcfg-wlan0
(the config file ifup uses to set up the card, i believe).

I get the same Operation Not Supported errors for Set ESSID and Set
Frequency.

What do you think?  How can I set the WEP key?

Thanks for you help!

--Jim