Hoary and sleep on IBM x40 thinkpad

Tony tony.kruse at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:02:33 UTC 2005

I have recently installed Hoary on a new x40 Thinkpad.  Mostly it is
working well.  I have a few issues, one of which is the battery life.
My battery life is not as good as my old iBook.  I get ~2 1/2 hours on
a fully charged standard battery comes with the Thinkpad.

I also experienced that when I close the lid, the Thinkpad appears to
hibernate, the screen darkens, the battery light remains lit, but the
sleep (crescent moon) light does not come on.  I also experienced that
after a few hours with the lid closed, the battery completely drained
and required rebooting the machine after attaching AC power.  What
will I need to do to activate the sleep mode?

ACPI and APM appear to be installed.

Tony