Hoary and sound

steven at heimann.com.au steven at heimann.com.au
Fri May 6 22:10:12 UTC 2005

Christoph Bier <christoph.bier at web.de> responded  on 05/06/2005 20:34

> It would have been nice not to post those modules you're sure of
> being not involved (e.g. smbfs, cpufreq* etc.).
>
> [...]
>
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> [...]
> > snd_atiixp             18596  2
> > snd_ac97_codec         64608  1 snd_atiixp
> > snd_pcm_oss            47652  0
> > snd_mixer_oss          16768  2 snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_pcm                84872  4 snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> > snd_timer              23300  1 snd_pcm
> > snd                    50276  7
> > snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> > soundcore               9824  2 snd
> > snd_page_alloc          9604  2 snd_atiixp,snd_pcm
> [...]
> > atiixp                  6160  1
>
> I don't know which soundcard you use and which driver (module) is
> necessary, but maybe atiixp conflicts with snd_atiixp? ... atiixp is
> used by ide_core ... what is atiixp for? What soundcard is used?
> Please, give us some more information about your system! Guessing is
> cumbersome.
>
> [...]

Thanks for the advice about including the entire output from lsmod in my
email Christoph.  I will try to more concise in future.  I am sorry I did
not add the information about my system.  It was in my original email but
was trimmed out by you in your first response.  I assume the lsmod info
above covers all sound related modules.  I have included other info about
the system below (trimmed this time)

The computer is a Shuttle ST61G4.  The doco says it has Realtek 650F 6
channel audio.

lspci shows

[...]
0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150
AC'97 Audio Controller
[...]

The output from aplay -l is as follows

card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 0: ATI IXP AC97 [ATI IXP AC97]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: IXP [ATI IXP], device 1: ATI IXP IEC958 [ATI IXP IEC958 (AC97)]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Does this help?

Steven